“Your spirit is willing but your pink flesh is weak.”
-Metaknight, Kirby, Right Back At Ya!
Believe it or not, but I used to be a…”Kirby Fanartist”. I drew many Kirbies back in the day! So, I’ll have you know that this piece was really easy once I channeled my expert Kirby rendering skills from the age of 12. For a pink puffball, he’s pretty tough! He inhales his enemies and gains wicked cool powers. Plus, he’s one of the best characters in Super Smash Brothers.
Here’s a BBQ sauce recipe that uses one of the health-recovery items from the Kirby series, the Maxim Tomato! Also, you get to use some Dreamland Apples! Ideally you should use in-season tomatoes and in-season apples…but pick one or the other if you can’t get both at the same time.
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Medium Ripe Tomatoes, diced
- 2 Macintosh Apples, shredded
- 1 6 oz. Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Vidala Onion or any Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Take all the ingredients except the Oil and throw them in a medium-size saucepan. Once again, don’t get intimidated by a long ingredient list. Sauces like this are super easy to make, and are much healthier than the store-bought alternatives.
- Bring to a boil, and after boiling for a minute, reduce heat to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until all the ingredients begin to break down into a saucy consistency.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool briefly. Transfer to a food processor, or using an immersion blender, process until smooth and uniform. Add the Olive Oil and blend again. This sauce is great on Pulled Pork, Ribs and Chicken! I’m not sure if it will help you recover your health like a Maxim Tomato…but it sure is tasty!! Put what you don’t use immediately into a glass jar, and refrigerate for up to two weeks.